"Perseus Development Corp. randomly surveyed 3,634 blogs on eight leading blog-hosting services to develop a model of blog populations. Based on this research, Perseus estimates that 4.12 million blogs have been created on these services: Blog-City, BlogSpot, Diaryland, LiveJournal, Pitas, TypePad, Weblogger and Xanga"Here are some of quick facts that were quite interesting.
The only problem with this kind of survey (and its covered in the Caveats) is that it mainly covers general(users that have signed up to the new buzz word) blogs, which will have a short life span (while they can be bothered basically). Blogs based on special interests (CF for example) i believe have greater life span and break most of the rules found in the article.via iPicture.it
- 66.0% of surveyed blogs had not been updated in two months
- Only 9.9% of active blogs had a current post that linked to one of 2,875 traditional news sites
- Blogs created by Gender 44% male, 56% female
- Blogs Created in 2000 136,000
- Blogs Created in 2004 10,300,000